5 April 2017

Latest arrivals

Two more ewes have lambed. Typically, I left them for 3 hours and came back to find a bit of a muddle. Out in the field (where the ewes who aren't supposed to lamb until Easter or after are!) there were 2 lambs and 2 ewes with them. However on closer inspection only one of the ewes had actually lambed, the other had stolen one of her lambs. Fern is the ewe who gave birth and had a grey katmoget ram lamb and a black gulmoget ewe lamb. Unfortunately, because the other ewe tried to steal it, I think she is rejecting the ewe lamb. She will let it feed if I hold her head but otherwise is headbutting it all round the pen. I have tried smearing the afterbirth on it but she is still not mothering it. I will persevere today but suspect it will end up being bottle fed.



The other ewe to lamb is Portland Fudge, she had a ewe lamb with no fuss or bother.